How do you feel when you sleep? Refreshed? Like a new human?
Sleep is important for humans, allowing the body to remain healthy and function properly. Without good sleep, you would be unable to concentrate, think or function properly in daily activities. The average adult needs between 7 and 9 hours of sleep, while children need longer hours.
How much sleep do you currently get?
Getting less sleep might seem normal to you but it has been linked with a higher risk of getting chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, heart diseases and poor mental health. The risk of an early death is also significant.
According to the Sleep Foundation, your habits can contribute to a better sleep. Want to know some of these tips? Sure! Here you go. Let’s know which you try and which worked for you.
- Have a bedtime and wake-up time and follow it strictly
- Avoid use of bright lights in the bedroom
- Ensure your bedroom is well ventilated and at a comfortable temperature
- Ensure you use proper bedding. Some bedding materials may trap heat
- Avoid bringing work into the bedroom. Also, avoid use of screens as much as possible.
- Avoid eating large meals, smoking or drinking alcohol a few hours before bedtime
- Physical activity can help the body relax, even when done during the day
- Avoid use of tobacco
What else would you like to know about sleep?
Pacheco, D. (2021). Why do we need sleep?. Retrieved from: https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/why-do-we-need-sleep